Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Batch conversion of Pages files

My current assignment makes me a Mac weenie in a Microsoft world, so while I'm happily tootling along in Pages I need to be able to share stuff with my colleagues. At the moment I'm the primary author of 30+ short course descriptions, stored in separate Pages files, and I've been exporting them to RTF when I need to share them. That was initially ok, but got out of hand as the number of files grew, so yesterday I was introduced to AppleScript.



I know nothing about AppleScript, but I was able to find a script on the web (thanks again, Google) that did most of what I want. I'll show you the script, then tell you the parts that weren't obvious to me and slowed me down




[sourcecode language='jscript']
on open theFiles
tell application "Pages"
repeat with aFile in theFiles
open aFile
set docName to name of front document
-- Remove .pages extension.
set prevTIDs to AppleScript's text item delimiters
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to ".pages"
-- Add .pdf extension.
set docName to first text item of docName & ".rtf"
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to prevTIDs
-- Save file to Desktop.
set docPathAndName to (path to desktop as string) & "rtfs:" & docName
save front document as ".rtf" in docPathAndName
close front document
end repeat
end tell
end open
[/sourcecode]


My first challenge was that I couldn't figure out how to get this to run! Pressing "Run" in ScriptEditor did nothing. I ended up saving it as an applet (use "Save As", selecting FileFormat => application), and then I could drag and drop the files I wanted to convert onto the applet. Once I put the applet in the dock, that was pretty convenient.



The second thing that slowed me down was figuring out how to save the results to a folder (the original script saved to the desktop). What I needed was the bit ' & "rtfs:"' while setting the docPathAndName. Here I'm dealing with a string, and it already has a trailing ":" - I kept trying to add another one, and AppleScript gave me a message about the target not being writable, rather than not existing, which lead me astray for a while.



Anyway, now I can select my Pages files, drag and drop them onto the applet in my dock, and the rtf files appear in a folder on my desktop. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment