Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Post-agile, or just agile done well?

Ivar Jacobsen was in Melbourne recently, and did a presentation in conjunction with the ACS saying that development needed to "get smarter". Throughout the presentation he compared Smart development to Agile - the trouble was I couldn't see any difference.

For a few years now I've heard of "post-agilism", which was needed to overcome the woes of agile development - the trouble is I couldn't see any suggestions that weren't compatible with agile as it was described around the time of the Agile Manifesto.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think Agile is the answer to every software development problem. I strongly agree with Alistair Cockburn that the development method you use needs to depend *at least* on the degree of risk and the size of the team. However, I don't think that we need to find new methods just because Agile can be done badly. Maybe we should pause and work a little harder at doing things well before we move on to doing new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment